If you follow me on Instagram, you know that Charlie gifted me a Created Colorful color analysis for my birthday. My sister in law had her colors done a year or so ago and had great things to say, and I've been curious ever since! In this blog post, I'm going to talk about what a Created Colorful color analysis is, how it works, and what my colors are. I'll also have a discount code I can share with you at the end if you want to get your colors done! I should mention that none of this is sponsored, and my code is not an affiliate link. I'm just sharing an experience that I absolutely loved!
What is a color analysis?
A color analysis is the idea that each person has a set of colors that OBJECTIVELY flatter their skin tone and draw out their best features. This isn't just about "what colors look good one me!" It digs deeper and uses aspects of color theory to determine what colors mesh best with your skin undertones, eye color, hair color and undertones, and more. It's CRAZY the difference between when you hold up one of "your colors" to your face and what it does to your skin/hair/eyes, vs. holding up a color that is NOT "yours."
The whole idea is that knowing your special colors is going to give you those "omg, you're GLOWING" moments, and help enhance your overall appearance. When someone is wearing their "colors," they appear more vibrant. When someone is wearing the colors that don't necessarily mesh with their skin/hair/eyes/undertones, it can cause them to appear washed out or overall dull.
How does the process work?
Some color analysis brands have local consults and will have you come in person for the analysis. However, Created Colorful is a virtual option. This made it SO much easier for me (especially with a baby at home). It does mean you need to be willing to get creative to send them the photos they need to conduct your analysis!
Here's how the Created Colorful process works:
- Sign Up. Once you sign up, you'll receive an email with a questionnaire and some examples of photos they'll need to conduct your color analysis.
- Take Photos. Next, you'll need to take photos in natural light with certain colors draped over your shoulders. You'll take the photos without any makeup on, so they can get a true sense of your skin color/undertones. This is about bringing out your natural beauty! This is probably what I got the most questions about when sharing my experience. They do NOT send you clothes. You need to get creative and use items around your house (clothes, pillow cases, blankets, your spouse's or roommate's clothes). OR, you can borrow from a friend, or buy from a store and return. Remember, you DON'T need to have every single color under the sun. They will work with you to determine what colors/shades look good on you based on what you have. It's okay if you just have a couple bright options, a couple dark options, some pale/pastels, etc.
- Back-and-Forth. Once they receive your questionnaire and your photos, they'll email you within a week to let you know if they need any additional colors or more of one specific colors.
- Color Analysis. After they have all the photos they need, one of the color analysts will evaluate them and match you with one of 14 possible color palettes that suit you (within 30 days). In general, a color analysis is broken up into general "seasons." Note: Created Colorful has more options than these and will be more specific in terms of "cool" or "warm" colors, etc., but this should give you a sense!
- Fall: gold, burnt orange, red, muted olive greens
- Winter: whites, berries, plums, deep blues
- Spring: soft greens, pinks, purples, yellows
- Summer: blue-greens, pink-beiges, pinkish and bluish grays
- The "Extras." In addition to receiving your season/colors, the email will also explain a few additional things. This includes: your dominant features, skin tone, a list of “choose this color over that color” hypotheticals to make shopping easier, and what colors to avoid. Just for fun, they also throw in some makeup and nailpolish recs and an image of your "knockout colors" (their favorites on you). You’ll also gain access to a Facebook group of clients who share your palette! In those groups, people share links, pictures, etc. to help making shopping even easier.
Here is an example of what some of the photos I uploaded for the color analysis looked like:
Why do a Created Colorful color analysis?
First, it's FUN!! I feel like my closet is filled with all sorts of different colors with no rhyme or reason. I really have no idea what colors are "best" on me. The idea that there are a set of colors that will help bring out my natural beauty and help me feel a bit more confident is something I love. Even more importantly, I love that knowing my colors will help give me a lens through which to shop. Instead of wanting to buy anything and everything that looks cute, it will give me a lens where I can say, "yes this is cute... but that color doesn't look great on me. I'll pass on this one." And, did I mention, it's really fun?!
My Created Colorful results
Let me just say how EXCITED I was when I saw the email come through with my results!! I'm not going to share every detail of the email, but I'm going to share my season, my knockout colors, and a few other details.
I was so excited to find out that I was a....
Light Summer! Think light, pastel, and neutral-cool colors.
Here were my "knockout colors"
And here were some ideas of nail colors that would work best with my skin:
Would I recommend having a color analysis done?
Absolutely! I couldn't recommend it more. The process was seamless, I didn't need to leave my house, and I'm SO excited to put the results to practice. I think it's going to make shopping so much easier, and make my decluttering journey even easier. I have no need to keep clothes that don't look great on me! Also, if you're looking for a fun gift to give someone, this would be great!
How much does a Created Colorful color consult cost?
For $180, you'll get the following:
- 20 shades that compliment your features
- An explanation of your skin tone
- Tips on which colors do and don't work for you
- Personalized makeup and nail polish recs (U.S. brands)
- Access to a Facebook community for your palette
- Links for clothes in your palette (U.S. brands)
My Created Colorful discount code
If you are looking to purchase a color analysis for yourself or for a friend/family member, you can use the code MISSBAILEY for $20 off a consult through midnight on August 2nd.
Do you have any questions about the process? Have you had your colors done before? If so, what are they?! I'd love if you'd leave a comment!