This delicious, healthy chicken salad is made up of the best and most unexpected flavors and ingredients - curry, marsala wine, capers, walnuts, raisins and celery. This chicken salad is perfect for picnics, barbecues, potlucks, or meal prep for lunches for the week.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced (about one stalk)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins (older raisins that are dry are fine - they will hydrate when they combine with the sauce mix, below)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (regular mayo tastes better, but you can use light if you want to scale back on points/calories)
- 1 tbsp hot hoagie spread (like Tallarico's or Cento)
- 2 tbsp marsala wine
- Juice from 1/3 lemon
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp capers
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the chicken breasts in a pot and cover chicken by about an inch with water. Season the water with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to medium until it is boiling. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let the chicken simmer for ~20 minutes. The internal temperature should be 160-165.
- Remove the chicken from the water, let it rest for a few minutes until it cools and then shred the chicken. Next, chill the shredded chicken in the fridge. Don't skip this step!
- Mix together the ingredients for the dry mix: red onion, celery, walnuts and raisins.
- Make the sauce using the following ingredients: mayo, hot hoagie spread, marsala wine, lemon, curry powder, capers, salt & pepper.
- Mix the chicken and dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the sauce into the chicken and dry ingredient mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Please note the nutrition facts below are for using regular mayo, not light mayo.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 495
- Sugar: 5.2
- Fat: 34.7
- Saturated Fat: 5.5
- Carbohydrates: 8.4
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 35.5