I've visited a decent amount of cities in the U.S., and after a weekend in Austin, Texas, it is at the way top of my list! It was a dream city for me: endless taco spots, food trucks on every block, string lights at night, beautiful walking/hiking trails, so many outdoor activities, and amazing live music.
I put together some of the things we did and places we ate that I loved, so that you can try them next time you go! I know there are tons of amazing places we weren't able to visit because we were only there for a few days, so this list is not exhaustive of Austin as a whole. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!
Food and Drink
- Breakfast tacos at Pueblo Viejo
- After walking around South Congress, GO TO TORCHY'S TACOS. I ordered "The Democrat" and it was honestly one of the best tacos I've ever had in my life.
- Have dinner at Ramen Tatsu-ya. There may be a line, but if you're with a group, have some people hold your spot in line while you go to the patio bar next door (called Domo Alley-Gato) and grab a drink outside! I got the "DIY Chu-Hi" where you choose a house tonic and spirit. The Fords London Dry mixed with the "violet" tonic was AMAZING!! Also be sure to pet all the dogs there.
- Grab breakfast tacos at Tacodeli before walking on the Barton Springs Greenbelt Trail to Barton Springs!! It was such a beautiful trail and Tacodeli is directly across the street. Their guac is seriously some of the best I've ever had - I will warn you that it has a kick!
- Jacoby's Restaurant and Mercantile if you're looking for a bit of a nicer dinner. Really good food and cocktails!
- Zilker Brewing Company on 6th Street. The sour beer is SO good!!!
- Go to La Barbecue!! Especially if you don't feel like waiting as long as Franklins. A lot of locals say it's just as good! We pre-ordered ahead of time, picked it up, and just ate it outside at the picnic tables. It was so nice skipping over the long line!
Things to Do
- We walked straight from breakfast tacos to the state capitol. It was definitely worth spending a little time walking around inside. Apparently the "thing" is to count how many stars there are inside. I don't think it's actually possible, but there are a LOT.
- From the capitol, we Ubered over to South Congress. I LOVED it there! It is basically just a neighborhood with a ton of fun, quirky shops, and then bigger ones like Kendra Scott and Madewell. This is where we took our photo with the "I love you so much" wall mural!
- Pete's Dueling Piano Bar on 6th Street is a must-do. It was so much fun. Get ready to sing really loud and maybe lose your voice. People in Austin call 6th Street "Dirty 6th" because it's definitely the "college-y" area to go out, but it was really fun for the night. Kind of reminded me of Broadway in Nashville in a sense.
- Comedy show at The Velveeta Room downtown!! This was one of my favorite parts of the trip, so much fun.
- Go out of Rainey Street!! It is all these cute little house-esque places that were converted into bars.
- We went straight from La Barbecue to walk around Town Lake, which was so nice! I love how many walking trails there are in Austin.
Austin, we'll be back! 🙂